Burien Film Office

Already home to a vibrant film community, the Burien Film Office is committed to supporting and promoting Burien's local film industry by connecting filmmakers with industry information and raising the profile of film in Burien.

A Vibrant Film Community

The City of Burien is home to an active film community. Numerous production crews have filmed here (see list below), directors of national prominence have started out here, and the community's cinephiles have come together to organize a variety of cultural events and festivals, including:

Filming in Burien

Whether you have a steadfast plan or just an idea, we encourage you to reach out to the City. The Burien Film Office is committed to helping prospective filmmakers make the connections and find the information they need to start filming in Burien. Contact our Economic Development Specialist, Chris Craig with questions at (206)436-5579.

Made in Burien

Burien is as much an attractive location for film production as it is an incubator of local film talent. Whether it was filmed in Burien or was made by a local Burienite, the following list of films captures the unique talents and attributes of our community:

The Maury Island Incident

The Maury Island Incident” features scenes filmed at the Tin Room Bar during the summer of 2013. The ‘Maury Island Incident’ was recognized by Washington State for its depiction of an important piece of Washington history.

Safety Not Guaranteed  

Safety Not Guaranteed” was partially filmed at Highline High School and the Grocery Outlet on SW 152nd Street

Manic Pixie Dream Wife 

“Manic Pixie Dream Wife” was created by Highline High School graduate M. Elizabeth Eller

Filming in Burien: Permit Information

Permits are needed in two situations:

  • If the filming is expected to block the public right-of-way, a Right-of-Way (ROW) use permit will be required.  ROW use permits are administered by the Public Works Department. Visit our Permit Center to learn more.
  • If the filming will occur in a City of Burien Parks property, you will need a Temporary Use Permit. Visit our Permit Center to learn more.

Educational & Youth Opportunities

Highline College both offers engaging courses in and related to film.  

Updated May 12, 2022