Marijuana Business

The Burien City Council established permanent zoning regulations for marijuana-related businesses when it adopted Ordinance 599 by a 5-2 vote on February 3, 2014. 

The ordinance implements voter-approved statewide Initiative 502, which received a majority "yes" vote in every precinct in Burien in November 2012.

The Burien Planning Commission conducted a public hearing to gather public comment on the proposed zoning regulations on January 8, 2014, and made its recommendation to the City Council on January 22, 2014.

The City Council discussed the proposed regulations at its January 27, 2014, meeting and adopted them at its next meeting.

Rules and Regulations

State licensing of marijuana-related businesses is governed by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB). The board's licensing rules prohibit marijuana-related uses within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of certain uses and buildings, including child care centers, school playgrounds, and public parks and recreation centers. 

Based on population, the WSLCB awarded only two licenses for retail sales of marijuana and/or marijuana products in Burien. The number of producers and processors that might locate here is constricted by the state's limit on total marijuana production throughout the entire state. 

Once an applicant receives licensing approval from the WSLCB, the applicant needs to comply with all applicable zoning ordinances, building and fire codes, and business licensing requirements for their chosen location. 

In Burien, marijuana retailers are allowed in the following land-use zones, subject to the 1,000-foot exclusion rule: 

  • Neighborhood Commercial
  • Intersection Commercial
  • Downtown Commercial
  • Community Commercial
  • Regional Commercial
  • Special Planning Area 1 (Olde Burien)
  • Special Planning Area 3 (Gateway) 

Producers and processors are allowed only in the Industrial and Airport Industrial zones. 

Home-based marijuana businesses are prohibited.

For marijuana business-related questions, contact the Planning Division by email or by telephone at (206) 248-5510.