Utility Bill Assistance

Seattle City Light and Puget Sound Energy have both announced they will keep utility services on during the COVID-19 emergency

There are a number of programs for assistance with utilities available to qualified households.

Federal Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If your main source of heat is electricity, gas, or heating oil, and you need help paying your utility bill during the winter season, call or schedule online:

Residents of South King County call (253) 517-2263 or schedule online at mschelps.org.

In addition to energy assistance, this federally funded program offers energy education, budget counseling, and weatherization services.

City of Burien Utility Tax Relief Program

The City of Burien offers an annual Utility Tax Relief Program for low-income Burien households. The program offers an annual reimbursement for the six percent utility taxes paid on telephone (not including cellular) and basic cable television. It also removes the six percent utility tax from your upcoming bills for gas and electricity provided by Puget Sound Energy, and solid waste removal (garbage) provided by Recology CleanScapes.

Applications are processed once a year and are due by November 30.


Eligibility Requirements: 

  • Resident of Burien
  • Annual income under $37,450 for a single household, or $42,800 for a two-person household.

If you have any questions, please contact Lori Fleming, Management Analyst at 206-248-5518 or email at adrieneb@burienwa.gov.

Puget Sound Energy

Puget Sound Energy offers two programs: the HELP Program and Weatherization Assistance Program, administered by the Multi-Service Center and other agencies in partnership with PSE. PSE customers can find the community-action agency nearest them by calling 1-866-223-5425 or viewing a list of agencies on pse.com/assistance.

PSE HELP (Home Energy Lifeline Program) Program

This program provides qualified customers with additional bill-payment assistance beyond that offered by the federal LIHEAP program.

PSE Weatherization Assistance Program

This program provides free weatherization assistance to qualified customers to help reduce energy use and lower bills. This includes free upgrades to your home such as insulation, sealing air leaks, lighting, and refrigerator replacements.

Seattle City Light

Seattle City Light offers several assistance programs.

Utility Discount Program

The Utility Discount Program helps income qualified Seattle City Light customers lower their electric bills by 60 percent. Learn more: seattle.gov/light/assistance/.

Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA)

The Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA) program is for customers who have received an "Urgent" or "Shut-Off' notice on balances of $250 or more. If it is during the portion of the year that LIHEAP is operating, you are encouraged to apply for assistance from LIHEAP as well.

To participate, you need to first make the payment that is due to avoid disconnection, as well as payment arrangements on the remaining balance. Participants may receive up to $200. Assistance is limited to once every twelve months. If you need more information, please call (206) 684-3688 or email SCL_InfoELIA@seattle.gov.

Project SHARE

Project Share is funded by customers' donations, and is available to customers that have participated in LIHEAP and ELIA. Initially, it will pay up to $250 towards the customer's City Light bill. If the customer makes a payment within two weeks of referral or interview, Project Share will contribute a matching pledge of $1 for every $2 the customer pays, with $500 being the maximum amount available. For more information call (206) 684-3000.


Income qualified customers may also be eligible for HomeWise, the City of Seattle's weatherization program. Improvements like insulation and heating system replacement or repair, can help you save energy, lower heating and cooling costs, and save money on your bill. Call (206) 684-0244 or visit www.seattle.gov/housing/homewise.

More questions? Contact Colleen Brandt-Schluter, Human Services Manager at colleenb@burienwa.gov or (206) 439-3166.