Health Care Services in Burien

Updated January 14, 2022

We are providing the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 specific health care services offered by major hospitals and medical centers in our community, as well as health insurance information as we find it.

COVID-19 Vaccine

Find out where you can get a COVID vaccine by visiting the vaccine locator website, supported by the Washington State Department of Health. 

The following health care providers in Burien are offering vaccines to those who qualify. In addition, public health agencies are offering mass vaccination sites in neighboring cities. 

King County offers help for those who need a ride to a vaccine appointment. Have you tested positive for COVID-19 and need to isolate? You may qualify for a one-time payment to help with current rent, mortgage, utility, water, phone, and internet bills.

Please rely on information from trusted public health sources. Information about vaccines for COVID-19 and Washington State's plan to distribute the vaccine is available on the Washington State Department of Health's website and Public Health – Seattle & King County website. 

COVID-19 Testing

Public Health - Seattle and King County recommends that anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms or close contact with someone who has COVID-19 be tested right away. Testing as soon as possible after symptoms appear is important to prevent COVID-19 from spreading to family, friends, and the community.

  • Call your doctor to get a test, or
  • Visit one of the free testing sites throughout King County.

Do you have questions about how the testing process works? Public Health - Seattle & King County has an easy-to-understand infographic that explains the process.

Have you tested positive for COVID-19 and need to isolate? You may qualify for a one-time payment to help with current rent, mortgage, utility, water, phone, and internet bills. 

Are you uninsured?

If you need care, please seek medical care. For your own safety and the safety of those around you, it is important that you access health care if you are experiencing symptoms. Here is some important information to remember:

  • If you are uninsured, testing is free and covered by the National Disaster Medical System.
  • There are strict laws in place that protect the confidentiality of your visit. Immigration law enforcement is prohibited from conducting arrests in health care facilities, such as hospitals, health clinics, and urgent care facilities except in very limited circumstances.
  • You do not need health insurance to visit the doctor. Community health centers offer free and reduced cost health care regardless of immigration status.
  • To learn more about your rights when accessing health care, read this fact sheet

Health Care Providers

  • CHI FranciscanCHI Franciscan is offering free 24/7 virtual health consultations with a certified health care provider to all individuals who may be experiencing upper respiratory symptoms suggestive of a COVID-19 infection.
  • Kaiser PermanenteKaiser Permanente delivering the majority of their care virtually, via options including e-visit, Consulting Nurse Service, Care Chat online messaging, and video and phone visits. CareClinic by Kaiser Permanente at Bartell Drugs locations will also temporarily close. Kaiser Permanente members who have questions about their care can contact Member Services at (888) 901-4636, or call or email their doctor.
  • Sea Mar Community Health Center: Sea Mar Burien is offering vaccination and other health care services at their Burien location. Learn more on their website or by calling (206) 812-6140.
  • Asian Counseling & Referral Resources: Asian Counseling and Referral Services is serving current clients and accepting new clients through Telehealth. Call (206) 695-7600 or visit the Asian Counseling and Referral Services website.
  • Southwest Youth & Family Services: Southwest Youth and Family Services is serving current clients and accepting new clients through Telehealth. Call (206) 937-7680 or visit the Southwest Youth and Family Services website.
  • Consejo Counseling & Referral Services: Consejo Counseling and Referral Services is serving current clients and accepting new clients through Telehealth. They specialize in services to the Latin-x community. Call (206) 461-4880 or visit the Consejo Counseling & Referral Services website.
  • Navos: Serving current clients and accepting new clients through Telehealth. Call (206) 248-8226 or visit the NAVOS website.

Behavioral Health Resources

This can be a challenging time for individuals and communities. Feeling different feelings including stress, worry, fear, and grief are all normal. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger. If you are interested in learning more or in need of immediate support, King County has compiled a list of resources and organizations to consider. You can also find tips for managing stress and anxiety on the Burien Magazine website.

Health Care Payment Resources

The State of Washington will pay for COVID-19 testing for those without insurance and copays and deductibles will be waived for COVID-19 testing. 

  • Washington Health Plan Finder: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Washington Health Plan Finder is opening enrollment to qualified individuals until April 8, 2020. Apple Health enrollment is year-round.
  • Community Health Access Program (CHAP): Community Health Access Program (CHAP) is a telephone assistance program serving King County residents by connecting them to health insurance, health care services, and other resources. CHAP services are free and confidential. They can also connect you to free or low-cost medical providers and also assist with enrolling you in public or low-cost health insurance. Contact by phone (800) 756-5437.

General Concerns

If you are in King County and believe you were exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19, contact the King County novel coronavirus call center: (206) 477-3977. The call center is open daily from 8 a.m.–7 p.m. and has a language line.

For general concerns and questions about COVID-19, please call the Washington State Novel Coronavirus Call Center at (800) 525-0127. Blind and low vision individuals can call (360) 947-3300.

This page will be updated as new federal and state resources are made available. Contact your provider for information specific to your situation. Please see our disclaimer below.


All content provided on this page is for informational purposes only. The City of Burien makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this page or found by following any link on this page, with the exception of links to information hosted at and other official government websites. Any action you take upon the information on this website is strictly at your own risk, and the City of Burien will not be liable for any losses and damages in connection with the use of this web page.