Manhattan Park

18386 4th Ave S.

The park offers a playground, picnic tables, and benches. The park is named for the Manhattan School, which formerly occupied the park.

Park History

The old Manhattan School was built in 1902, after the area had changed its name from Sunnydale to Manhattan. The new school was built to serve children living in the Manhattan neighborhood and Des Moines.

This two-room school was located at First Ave S and Normandy Rd. Children from the Manhattan community attended the school until the Highline School District was organized in the early 1940s. Students then were sent to the Sunnydale School, and the Manhattan School became a social hall. The school was razed in 1962.