The Human Services Commission is a newly-formed advisory body, created by the Burien City Council through Ordinance No. 669 which was approved on June 5, 2017.
The Human Services Commission is an advisory body to the City Council responsible for providing advice and recommendations related to human services issues. Duties and responsibilities of the Human Services Commission include:
- Identify and assess the human services needs in the City.
- Recommend priorities and approaches to address human services needs within the City.
- Review human services funding requests submitted to the City and make funding allocation recommendations.
- Review performance of human services agencies/programs that are funded by the City.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the City Council.
The meeting time will be established by the newly formed Commission. It is anticipated that meetings will be once a month, with no meetings in July and December. During the human services funding application process which occurs every other year, there may be additional meetings.
The first meeting will tentatively occur mid-October.
Agendas & Minutes:
Agendas and minutes for all Council, advisory board and commission meetings are available in the Agenda Center.
Agendas for Human Services Commission meetings are made available prior to the meetings, and are emailed to all Commission members, along with all meeting materials.
- Seven members, to be appointed by the City Council.
- At least five members must be City residents.
- Board members and employees of human services agencies that receive City human services funding and City employees are not eligible.
- Valerie Allan
Position 1, term expires March 31, 2020
- Colleen Brandt-Schluter
Position 2, term expires March 31, 2019
- Megan Gibbard Kline
Position 3, term expires March 31, 2020
- Jennifer Marcum
Position 4, term expires March 31, 2019
- Karen McMichael
Position 5, term expires March 31, 2020
- Julianna Ormsby
Position 6, term expires March 31, 2019
- Brendon Schlotz
Position 7, term expires March 31, 2020
By-Laws will be determined by the Human Services Commission.
The staff representative for the Human Services Commission is Lori Fleming, Management Analyst, Phone 206-248-5518 and email: .
Learn more information about human services funding.