Parks, Recreation & Open Space Plan
The 2018 City of Burien Parks, Recreation,
& Open Space Plan
Please join us and
become a part of the future vision!
YOUR COMMUNITY, YOUR VOICE
The City of Burien wants to hear from you during
the 2018 PROS planning process.
Your voice will help guide the direction of
Burien Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services, and facilities for
the next six years.
How To Get Involved
Open House meetings
Park Advisory Board meetings
Planning Commission meetings
Contact PaRCS at
If you are one of the 1500 residents
who received a postcard,
please go to the link on the postcard
to complete the survey and enter the drawing.
complete the survey to be eligible
for the $150 drawing
What is it?
A Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Master Plan is also sometimes called simply the PROS Plan
. The purpose of the Plan is to provide guidance to the City in its management and development of park properties and recreation programs. This Plan is updated every 6 years; the last Plan was adopted in 2012.
Who Is Facilitating The Process?
The Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Service Department (PaRCS) has selected Beckwith Consulting Group to work with the community and the PaRCS department to collect information, feedback, and document results.
• The culmination of this process and its’ recommendations will be presented to the City of Burien Council by the Beckwith Consulting Group and the PaRCS Department.
Why Are We Doing This?
This is an excellent opportunity for community members to actively participate in planning and shaping the future of Burien’s parks, recreation programs and facilities. The results of these efforts will:
• Allow city staff and City Council to hear from Burien residents as they communicate their needs and desires in regards to our park, recreation and cultural services and facilities.What Information Will Be Sought?
• Enable the City to meet the requirements for park and recreation plans as set by the State of Washington Recreation & Conservation Office (RCO).
• Provide eligibility for a variety of state and federal grants, for the purpose of acquisition and development of parks and recreational facilities.
• Fulfill the Growth Management Act planning requirements for Comprehensive Plan Elements as outlined by the Washington State Department of Commerce.
In partnership, the community and Beckwith Consulting Group will work with PaRCS to:
• Identify existing conditions and inventory of our parks and facilities, as well as our current service levels for parks and recreation.
• Identify public expectations, priorities, and goals.
• Explore partnerships, solutions, and funding opportunities.
• Create an Implementation Plan for the Park and Recreation Advisory Board to review and consider for Council adoption.
• Prepare recommendations by the Park Board for City of Burien Council adoption.
When Will This Begin?
The process will begin immediately for completion by January 2018.
• Three public Workshops / Open House events are currently scheduled for the public to actively participate in shaping Burien parks, recreational programs, buildings and facilities.
Workshops 6:30-8:00pm sharing the process with the community
Workshop #1: (6/14 (Wednesday) Burien Community Center / Seahurst Room)
Workshop #2 (7/18 (Tuesday) Burien Community Center / Seahurst Room)
Workshop #3 (8/16 (Wednesday) Highline United Methodist Church, Burien)
Focus Groups meeting community groups and businesses throughout Burien
Neighborhood Celebrations meeting the community neighbors
Southern Heights Elementary field July 19th 6:30pm
New Start High School field July 26th 6:30pm
Manhattan School Playground park August 2nd 6:30pm
Seahurst Beach park August 9th 6:30pm
• Multiple surveys reaching out to those who are unable to attend a workshop or meeting. These surveys will be available on the website, at the workshops and meetings, and at PaRCS special events during the summer.