Parks, Recreation & Open Space Plan
The City of Burien wants to hear from you during the 2018 PROS planning process.
Your voice will help guide the direction of Burien Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services,
and facilities for the next six years.
Visite el sitio de 2018 Pros para actualizaciones here
What is the PROS Plan?
A Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Master Plan is also sometimes called simply the PROS Plan. The purpose of the Plan is to provide guidance to the City in its management and development of park properties and recreation programs. This Plan is updated every 6 years; the last Plan was adopted in 2012.
Who Is Facilitating the Process?
The Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Service Department (PaRCS) has selected Beckwith Consulting Group to work with the community and the PaRCS department to collect information, feedback, and document results. The culmination of this process and its’ recommendations will be presented to the City of Burien Council by the Beckwith Consulting Group and the PaRCS Department.
Why Are We Doing This?
This is an excellent opportunity for community members to actively participate in planning and shaping the future of Burien’s parks, recreation programs and facilities. The results of these efforts will:
- Allow city staff and City Council to hear from Burien residents as they communicate their needs and desires in regards to our park, recreation and cultural services and facilities.
- Enable the City to meet the requirements for park and recreation plans as set by the State of Washington Recreation & Conservation Office (RCO).
- Provide eligibility for a variety of state and federal grants, for the purpose of acquisition and development of parks and recreational facilities.
- Fulfill the Growth Management Act planning requirements for Comprehensive Plan Elements as outlined by the Washington State Department of Commerce.
What Information Is Being Sought?
In partnership, the community and Beckwith Consulting Group will work with PaRCS to:
- Identify existing conditions and inventory of our parks and facilities, as well as our current service levels for parks and recreation.
- Identify public expectations, priorities, and goals.
- Explore partnerships, solutions, and funding opportunities.
- Create an Implementation Plan for the Park and Recreation Advisory Board to review and consider for Council adoption.
- Prepare recommendations by the Park Board for City of Burien Council adoption.
The PROs Plan process starting in early spring 2017.
Contact PaRCS at 206 988-3700 for questions.