Burien Washington

Go To Search
Special Event Permit Information
Compressed Special Events.jpgWhat is a Special Event?
A special event includes any temporary activity that takes place outdoors and involves sales not already permitted by City code, or includes amplified sound that may cause a public disturbance or is conducted on a right-of-way.

What Activities are Exempted from Needing a Special Event Permit?
  • Funeral processions
  • Wedding processions
  • School, Church & Government events meeting certain criteria
  • Facilities built specifically to host special events, e.g. theatres, auditoriums, stadiums
  • Regularly scheduled athletic events
  • Outdoor demonstrations on public property meeting certain criteria

Although the above activities may be exempt from needing a Special Event Permit, other permits may be necessary.


Why do I need to Apply for a Special Event Permit?

  • To assure that an activity meets legal requirements of the use of public rights-of-ways.
  • To enable the City to ensure that adequate services such as public safety, traffic control and sanitation are provided.
  • To alert the City to any event which should be known to the providers of emergency services.


How do I Obtain a Permit for my Special Event?


  • Download the Special Event Application and/or Special Event Guidelines or obtain the documents from City Hall.
  • Contact the Special Event Liaison, Monica Lusk, at 206-248-5517, or by email
  • Submit application with all applicable attachments to the City a minimum of 45 business days prior to the event.
  • Remit application fee: $100. ($25 upon submittal; $75 upon approval).



Will there be Additional Costs?
There may be additional permits required (Right-of-Way, Electrical, Temporary Structures, Fire Department, King County Health, and Liquor Licenses, etc.) that vary in cost and must be obtained prior to the issuance of the Special Event Permit. There may be other expenses such as rental of stages, barricades and fencing.

Do I need Insurance?
As an organizer of a special event, it is required that you obtain comprehensive liability insurance coverage with a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 general aggregate for the duration of your event, naming the City of Burien as an additional insured.

How can I get more information on Special Events?
Download a copy of the Special Event Guidelines.








400 SW 152nd St, Suite 300  /  Burien, WA 98166  /  Ph: (206) 241-4647  /  Fax: (206) 248-5539
Home  /  Contact Us  /  Sitemap  /  Translate Spanish  /  Accessibility  /  Copyright  /  Powered by CivicPlus
City Hall Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm