Nearby Lakeview School was built on what the Highline School District considered an "inadequate site of 4.7 acres" in 1954 - 1955. The site was all that was available in the well settled area. The school opened in 1955 with eight classrooms. Four were later added - all that the site could support. In 1964, the multi-purpose building was constructed. Four classrooms were later destroyed by fire in 1985. The school was built over a period of nine years; it closed in 1975.
On September 28, 1983 the Highline School District leased Lakeview Park to King County.
The Lakeview site was declared surplus to the educational needs of the Highline School District in March, 1997. The District then sought the sale or long-term lease of the property. Sunnydale Museum and the Highline Historical Society Archives occupied a portion of the building.
On February 4, 2000 the city of Burien assumed conditions of the lease. Finding that parks and playfields were in short supply in this part of the city, it leased the southerly and easterly portions of the Lakeview site - 3.3 acres - for park and recreational purposes.
This park, on the grounds of the former Lakeview School, contains a basketball court, play equipment, playfield, and walking trail.