In 1914, Jack Stokes came to Seahurst from Seattle. His father owned Stokes Ice-Cream Company in Seattle as well as one of the city’s first large restaurants. Jack was two years old when they built their brick home. His father, a former bricklayer in Pennsylvania, built the first brick house in Seahurst. It still stands at 14620 25th SW.
Jack roamed the woods, combed the beaches and swam in the Sound and Lake Burien with other early old-timers. The two-story Lake Burien School had a large rock, he remembers: about 15 feet high and 18 feet across, on the southwest corner of the school grounds. It was removed when the school was torn down and the new school built. Stokes and his friend Jack Williams rode horses to school and pastured them nearby.
Very few families lived in Burien at the time. Woods and wild huckleberries surrounded the school. But as the area attracted new residents, it quickly outgrew the first schoolhouse. In 1926 a new Lake Burien Elementary, facing 18th Avenue SW, replaced the smaller building. The two-story school began with six classrooms. Within two years, four more rooms were added to the north side.
Continue on to learn about improvements made to the Lake Burien School