The following history is an abridged text. For more information, view the full document
The first white incursion into Salmon Creek Ravine was by water. In 1864, George Oulette purchased most of the beachfront property along Burien’s northern coastline, making him the area’s first landowner. In 1870, John G. Parker purchased a foothold of 9.7 acres along the Puget Sound shoreline at the mouth of Salmon Creek. In 1871, C.P. Stone acquired 37 acres of shoreline property adjoining George Oulette’s northern boundary.
In 1875, George and Elizabeth Oulette bought 100 acres from William Brown in what is today the Miller Creek area of Normandy Park. Their children attended Sunnydale School. Besides farming, Oulette was involved in timber harvesting in the area.
Continue on to learn about the logging and timber industry in the ravine