The following history is an abridged text. For more information, including information regarding Highline Memorial Stadium, view the full document
Moshier Park actually began in downtown Burien. In 1904, Alexander and Zilla Bigelow, having walked five miles from South Park to Burien, purchased five acres on the north side of 152nd at 4th Ave. SW. Their neighbors were the Garfield Mercer and Will Hill families. The Bigelows slept in an old tent and hauled water from a spring near Five Corners until they could get their "lumber in and a shack built." Alexander was a hard worker: he cut and split rails and posts; cut, peeled, and dug post holes for the first telephone line in Burien; and traveled to Seattle - the first five miles on foot - in search of odd jobs.
Eventually, the Bigelows donated property on 4th Ave. SW and SW 152nd for a county playfield. In subsequent years of commercial and retail growth, this area became the heart of the Burien business district, and the property was exchanged for a parcel at 6th Ave. S and S 156th, which featured a playfield and clubhouse.
Continue on to learn about the joint use of the area