The following history is an abridged text. For more information, view the full document
The old Manhattan School was built in 1902, after the area had changed its name from Sunnydale to Manhattan. The new school was needed to keep children from walking from Manhattan and Des Moines to Sunnydale. A few Manhattan families decided that the four-mile walk through dense woods, where wild animals still roamed, was too dangerous for their children. So the parents and others formed a new school district at Manhattan, with 12 original homeowners and 14 children of school age.
Manhattan School District Number 135 was formed in 1902. Members of the School Board included Harry Burton, William H. Miller, and Aaron Dunbar. Edward Gould served as clerk. Miller lived on the beach in the original William Brown homestead. Miller Creek was named for him and his wife Clarinda, and the beach (Normandy Park Cove) was called Miller's Beach. The Millers were widely known for their hospitality.
Continue on to learn more about the Dunbar family