Lake Burien School Memorial Park
14640 18th Ave. SW
4.6 acresEarly Attempts at Homesteading
The following history is an abridged text. For more information, view the full document
The land on which Lake Burien School was built was homesteaded by the Bloomfield family. W.M. or William Murphy owned 160 acres due east, while Chas Barton claimed the 160-acre parcel to the south - which includes the western half of Lake Burien. To the north of the Bloomfield property lay the Pope and Talbot claim, which eventually became Seahurst Park.
Homesteading was not as successful here as in other parts of Burien. Claims were given up because it was hard to make a living (hence the early name: Hardscrabble). The area’s gullies and rocky soil were better suited to chickens and hogs than farming. Thus the land north of 152nd and throughout Seahurst was primarily logging land. Around 1910 it was subdivided and sold. In 1915, the Seahurst Land Company owned 200 acres from 16th Ave. SW to Puget Sound, north of 152nd (which would include the current Lake Burien School Park), from which it supplied residents with spring water.
Later, Fred and Bill Dashley, recently returned from the Alaska Gold Rush, bought the property where the park now sits. The Dashley brothers owned property from 8th SW to 22nd on the north side of 152nd, and possibly as far north as 144th. The Dashleys were promoters of Ambaum Blvd.
Continue on to learn about the first school in Seahurst