The following history is an abridged text. For more information, view the full document.
The Burien Community Center lies next to the former Crosby Road. In the early 1900s, Homer Crosby came to the Highline area and built the road (146th St. SW) from Ambaum Blvd. to First Ave. South. Crosby, one of the area's early residents, also worked on the construction of Ambaum Blvd, using "donkey engines" to do much of the heavy work of hauling logs, moving earth, and carving out a roadbed.
The Burien Community Center property was farm and residential land until Chelsea Park Elementary School was built there. The school was constructed in 1947-48 to relieve overcrowding at Lake Burien, Hazel Valley, and Sunnydale Elementary Schools. The growth of the Highline School District - “favorably known” nationwide - was one of the biggest factors in attracting home-seekers to the South End.
Chelsea Park School closed in 1976. The Highline Community Center (now the Burien Community Center) was brought about by the countywide Forward Thrust program of the late 1960s, through renovation of this surplus elementary school site. The Burien Community Center occupies the buildings and grounds that once were Chelsea Park School.
Continue on to learn about the current use of the Burien Community Center.