Burien Washington

Go To Search
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
The Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE) has issued an updated Western Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit to several Washington cities, including Burien  This new permit went into effect on August 1, 2013, and is in effect for 5 years.

Stormwater Management Program
The Burien Public Works Department continually working to update and improve its Stormwater Management Program (SWMP).  This process involves revising programs to comply with the updated Municipal Stormwater Permit, as well as implementing new programs and tasks that are new to the permit.  This page provides an overview of the major programs the City is currently implementing.  This list is a work in progress, and will be updated as programs are revised or implemented.

The 2018 revision of the City of Burien's Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) is now available, along with the NPDES Permit Annual Report for the Municipal Stormwater Permit.


As part of Burien’s Stormwater Management Program, and as required by the City’s Municipal Stormwater Permit, the City has implemented the following programs:

Public Education and Outreach
Burien has implemented several programs to provide public education and outreach opportunities for storm and surface water topics. A major goal is to reduce or eliminate behaviors and practices that cause or contribute to adverse stormwater impacts. The following are some of the programs that we have been involved in or have implemented:

Puget Sound Starts Here - Puget Sound is in trouble. You are the solution. Together, we can fix it.

Natural Yard and Garden Care - This page provides information and programs related to environmentally-friendly gardening and yard care.

Integrated Pest and Vegetation Management - This handout explains the City of Burien’s Pest Management procedure.

Environmental Science Center - This non-profit organization is contracted by the City to perform numerous environmental education activities to both school aged and adult residents in the greater Burien area. The Center is located in Seahurst Park in Burien.

Public Involvement and Participation
Burien has an ongoing program to promote stewardship of our watersheds, and to provide opportunities for the public to participate in environmental improvement projects. We have a dedicated stewardship officer for the Miller and Walker Creek Basins, who organizes and leads cleanup and restoration projects throughout the year. Annual salmon spawn surveys are also performed each fall in Miller and Walker Creeks, to help document fish populations and stream health. The Environmental Science Center also provides opportunities through their outreach efforts for public participation in environmental topics.

Miller and Walker Creeks Stewardship Page

Controlling Runoff from Construction Sites

The Municipal Stormwater Permit requires that jurisdictions provide measures for reducing pollutants and controlling runoff from new development, redevelopment, and construction site activities that disturb land areas 1 acre or greater.  Thorough reviews of construction plans and routine inspections of construction sites are performed by City staff to ensure that no polluted water leaves a construction site and enters the City’s stormwater system or waterways.

If you see dirty water running off a construction site, please call Burien Public Works at 206-248-5521.

Pollution Prevention and Operations Program

We have implemented a program for operations and maintenance (O&M) of Burien’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) that includes methods to prevent and reduce pollutant runoff into the storm and surface water system. This program includes annual inspections of all flow control and water quality stormwater facilities in Burien, both public and private, as well as increased inspections of City owned catch basins to every two years. Additionally, the City provides routine training opportunities for City staff in stormwater O&M and water quality related topics.

Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE)

We have established a program to detect and remove illicit connections and discharges, including any spills, into our surface water. Per Burien Municipal Code (BMC) 13.10.240, there are certain prohibited and allowed discharges into surface, stormwater, and ground water system. See below for reporting illegal spills or dumping. Additionally, in order to comply with current Permit requirements, the City is currently developing IDDE Field Screening methodology which we plan to begin implementing in the summer of 2015.

Reporting Spills

To report spills of oil or hazardous materials or illicit discharge into our stormwater system or natural waterways, call the Department of Ecology at (425) 649-7000 and the City of Burien at (206) 248-5521. Examples include construction materials, paint, pesticides, fertilizers, soaps, detergents and sewage.

If you witness a major spill or discharge, which may be dangerous to life and health, call 9-1-1 immediately and report it as a non-emergency call.

For more information, see the WA Dept. of Ecology website.


Please give your comments to Dan O’Brien at (206) 248-5538 or .


400 SW 152nd St, Suite 300  /  Burien, WA 98166  /  Ph: (206) 241-4647  /  Fax: (206) 248-5539
Home  /  Contact Us  /  Sitemap  /  Translate Spanish  /  Accessibility  /  Copyright  /  Powered by CivicPlus
City Hall Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm