Project Name: 5th Ave S Traffic Calming Project
Scheduled Start Date: February 2018 (design)
Spring 2019 (construction)
Scheduled Completion Date: TBD
Project Manager: Brian Victor, (206) 248-5533,
Brief Overview: The City of Burien is addressing chronic speeding and traffic safety concerns in the 5th Avenue South corridor, between S 116th and S 126th Streets. This project evaluates and designs traffic calming features such as compact roundabouts at intersections, mid-block chicanes, re-channelization, and integrated low impact design features.
Proposed Improvements may include:
- Traffic calming devices
- Radar speed signs
- Intersection control revisions at S 116th St
- Channelization and signing modifications along the corridor
- Landscaping for traffic calming devices
- Drainage revisions and possible LID improvements
- Possible illumination improvements
Project Status: The design phase has just begun. Postcards were recently mailed out regarding an Open House Community Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, March 14, 2018, from 5:30-7:30 PM at the Burien Community Center.
for recent information from the Open House held on March 14, 2018