On Saturday, September 27, 2014, the City of Burien hosted the first ever community Economic Development Dialog – a unique opportunity for community members to provide the City with direct and invaluable feedback on Economic Development priorities.
How to Register:
Registration is now closed.
Translation Services Provided:
Spanish and Vietnamese interpreters were present at the meeting to assist those community members speaking English as second language.
Unable to Attend?
If you missed the event, don’t fret! Using a new online community engagement tool called Connect Burien, community members can provide input and feedback to the City. Connect Burien can be accessed by clicking the following link: http://burienwa.mindmixer.com/.
Event Facilitator: Martha Bean
Martha Bean is a facilitator and mediator with nearly three decades of experience working with groups of all sizes to help them identify and achieve collective goals. Her clients range from large federal agencies involved in complex national disputes to small non-profits seeking to strategically implement a common vision. Martha is practical and efficient in her support of people's innovation and creativity within municipalities, non-profit organizations, boards and commissions, state and federal governments and businesses. Martha has a degree in planning from Western Washington University and a Master's degree from the University of California at Berkeley. marthacbean.com
Economic Development Dialog Agenda
Draft Economic Development Goals and Actions
Data and Statistics: (Bob Weiss Research to be Updated):
- Population Demographics - an overview of Burien's population demographics, including age, nationality and education attainment data.
- Household Demographics - an overview of the number of households in Burien, their income, their racial demographics and their size.
- Housing Unit Demographics - an overview of the split between owner and renter occupied homes, and data concerning the value of owner-occupied homes.
- Employment Demographics - an overview of the primary sectors Burien residents work in (including the arts), and the split between "blue collar" and "white collar" workers, and a description of how people commute to their place of employment.
- Lifestage Segmentation Demographics - an overview of the 'types of people' living in Burien, ranging from those defined as "movers and shakers" to the "young influentials" to "empty nesters".
- Retail Opportunity Gap Analysis - an analysis depicting demand for any given retail sector. Shows those retail sectors in which there is excess demand - i.e. an opportunity for entrepreneurial development - or oversupply.
- Business Employment Report - an overview of employment in Burien's 18 industry categories, from agriculture to arts and entertainment.
Burien Market Profile:
Post Meeting Materials:
Facilitator's Report: Burien's Economic Development Dialog